I was just nominated for the 2018 Liebster Award, an award given out to promising up and coming blogs! I was nominated by Bruna over at Maps N’ Bags, a beautiful travel tips blog. Thanks, Bruna!
The 2018 Liebster Award
The Liebster Award is an award given to bloggers by bloggers to recognize amazing small blogs that can otherwise be difficult to find. When a blogger is nominated, they create a post answering a few questions about themselves and subsequently nominate another blogger (or a few) that they feel deserve recognition for their writing. So without further ado…let’s talk about me!
More About Furiosities: My Nomination Questions & Answers
1. If the world was going to end tomorrow, where would you travel today?
Mexico City. After visiting spending several months in Latin America last year and roughly a month in Mexico, I am fully obsessed with the country and latin culture in general. However, I have yet to experience a huge Latin city. This is crazy because I am a complete cityphile. I cannot wait to visit Mexico City and explore the depths of a Latin metropolis.
2. Would you rather win the lottery or have the perfect job?
The perfect job. Money is nice, but after a while of not having to work I would begin to doubt my purpose and direction With the perfect job, I would be making enough money to support myself, I would love what I did every day, and my basic human needs for meaning and purpose would be deeply satisfied. (And I would get to travel. A lot.)
3. To which countries would you give the following colors and why? (yellow, blue, red, green)
Green: Belize — for rainforests, Belikin beer, and environmental sustainability
Red: Mexico — for passion, vibrance, intensity, and mole
Blue: Morocco –for the stunning blue mountain village of Chefchaouen
Yellow: Italy — for pasta, prosecco, sunshine, and sheer joy
4. What would you change in the world?
People’s inability to empathize. If people could feel and understand the experiences of others better, I think conflict would be much less prevalent. Once you experience the pains and concerns of another person, the things they do that upset you make much more sense. Everybody has their reasons, even if you don’t understand them. Empathy is the key to understanding that everybody has different priorities, needs, and problems.
5. If you could bring a fictional character to life, which one would that be and why?
Luna Lovegood, because I love her and we would be best friends and we would wear matching radish earrings and it would be adorable.
6. What are you most proud of?
This is such a difficult question. I’m proud of many things! I’m proud of choosing to travel on my own; my uncanny ability to find good, cheap, restaurants; my undying commitment to leading a life commensurate with my values; my ability to make a good meal out of whatever I find in the fridge…especially weird vegetables; my awesome pointy elf ear of my right side; my collection of awesome earrings; and of course, this blog! I put a LOT of effort into Furiosities and I’m extremely proud of it. If I weren’t proud, it simply wouldn’t be worth it.
7. Who would you change places with for a day?
Anthony Bourdain. Duh.
(Bonus implication of this answer: Getting to experience what peeing is like as a dude.)
8. When I hear “caipirinha”, I think about Rio de Janeiro. When I hear “beer”, I think about Berlin. Where do you think about when you hear “coffee” and why?
Guatemala. The coffee grown in Guatemala is incredible. What’s more, there are lots of movements and organizations supporting sustainable coffee harvesting in Guatemala. It’s easy to get Guatemalan coffee that is super high quality with minimal environmental impact and maximal local economic impact. Easy choice.
9. What is the craziest situation you have ever experienced in another culture?
I’m not sure if it is the “craziest”, but there was this one time where I failed to understand tipping culture, spoke Spanish poorly, and ended up with half as much beer and twice as many pairs of boxers as I had paid for…
10. If you were an animal, which one would you be and why?
It’s a boring answer, but a farm cat. What could be better? People around to love you whenever you want, food delivered straight to your plate, as much alone time as you desire, a wilderness to explore and a cozy home available to you at your leisure, and puddles of sun to lie in all day. Sounds like heaven to me!
11. What is your favorite book and why?
My favorite book is Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Harry’s story was such an integral part of my upbringing and self-discovery that I don’t think it will ever be kicked out of this position. Every once in a while I wonder whether my love for HP was just a childish fad…and then I read them again and think, “Nope, this is just effin’ great storytelling.”
Now for MY 2018 Liebster Award Nominees
Elizabeth from Temporary Provisions. She runs an excellent collaborative blog attempting to turn the travel narrative on it’s head, making it “more inclusive, more sustainable, and more mindful.” It’s really awesome and features some of the best down-to-earth travel writing I have read in a long time. Check it out!
Corinne at Infinity & Abroad. Corinne writes dope stories from her travels and is very in touch with reality. She wrote this amazing piece for Temporary Provisions about backpacker entitlement in Vietnam and it immediately caught my attention.
Caitlin at The Country Jumper. Caitlin is an awesome person with a beautiful blog. She has strong moral positions on the ethical treatment of animals in animal tourism and has written some very helpful posts about it.
Erika at Latin Atlas. Erika has a deep love of Latin culture, and her blog treats it with a depth, complexity, and respect that I don’t see often in travel writing. If you really want to think about and understand the subtleties of Latin countries, this blog is for you.
Lastly, the other Caitlin nomination — Caitlin from Back Again Cait. Caitlin’s blog is just getting started but I love her sass and her commitment to ethical travel, sustainability, and dissing the “patriarchal, industrialist, capitalist system of oppression.” Get it, girl.
For the guidelines on how to respond to Liebster nominations, check out the updated instructions at Global Aussie.
Questions for My Nominees
Alright ladies, here they are:
- When did you know you wanted to start writing about your travels?
- If you could wake up tomorrow knowing another language, what would it be?
- Tell me about one moment in another culture that has made you reevaluate your assumptions and values.
- What is your favorite album of all time and why?
- You’re offered a hosted vacation to your all-time bucketlist destination and you can bring one guest. Where do you go and who do you take?
- Hostel, hotel, Airbnb, or homestay?
- What is one unrealistic, uncomfortable, or bulky item that you WISH you could travel with but can’t?
- Who do you nominate for President of the United States in the 2020 election? Why?
- What is your favorite thing about blogging?
- What is your LEAST favorite thing about blogging?
- If you could have one post go viral — one thing you’ve said be read by hundreds of thousands of people — what would it be?
Congratulations, ladies! I can’t wait to read your responses 🙂